April 8, 2010

BUTTERMILK DOUGHNUTS AND BITS



My wonderful Hunny, bought me a Chuck Wagon Cooking cookbook several years back, and I love the rustic meals in there, but they also have sweet treats as well, and I saw this recipe for doughnuts, and thought I would try it and I was not dissapointed! They are very easy to make and delicious!
4 1/2 Cups Flour
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 1/2 teaspoons Cream of Tarter
1 teaspoon Salt
3 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons Shortening melted
1 Cup Buttermilk
Oil for deep fying
Confectioners Sugar (optional)
(1) Mix together thoroughly the dry ingredients, except the Sugar.
(2) Beat the Egss until thick and gradually add the Sugar.
(3) Add the melted Shortening, Buttermilk and Flour mixture to the beaten Sugar and Egg mixture. Mix well, chill for 1 hour.
(4) Turn out onto floured board. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness, cut with floured doughnut cutter ( I don't have one so I used a large cup to make the whole doughnut,and a very small one for the middle) Kepp the middles and fry them they are like "Tim Bits"
(5) Heat Oil to 375 degrees (I used my deep fryer then I could control the temp) fry a few doughnuts at a time until golden brown on both sides.
(6) Drain on paper towels.
(7) Dust with Confectioners Sugar. Makes 2 1/2 Dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment